Saturday, November 3, 2007

Plastic Operator Lack Plastic Hearts


I recently received an album from Plastic Operator, who many have compared to Postal Service, that found me at a time where the album could resonate most effectively. It is called Different Places, but it seems that we are in fact in the same place - heartbreak. Mathiew Gendreau and Pieter Van Dessel seem to hold women in high regard as they look to them for self-worth, security, and happiness only living to please them. Plastic Operator and I differ in that they tried to make her happy while I barely tried when it was already too late. Nice guys always seem to get left in the dust. However, Plastic Operator are not left for dead; closing track 'The Long Run' has them realizing that they will be "alright" without them. I wish I were at that point. Plastic Operator's most popular song is probably 'Folder', which is about a guy, like me, who has difficulty communicating in the way he should. The video is rather interesting - it was directed by Pete Circuitt:



My favorite song on Different Places is 'Parasol', because it is a reminder of happy times no bullshit no problems. It is the most refreshing song on the album and Sarah Ferri's vocals are a nice addition. I'd like to hear more of her on the next record. Plastic Operator are electronic and poppy akin to Hot Chip, but Jesse Rose and Oliver $ come in and make 'Why Don't You?' ripe for the dance floor. What is so good about the remix is the use of the strings and piano from the original as compliments to their techno rework. Don't worry Mat and Pieter, us nice guys will be appreciated one day:


Plastic Operator - Parasols


Plastic Operator - Why Don't You? (Jesse Rose and Oliver $ Remix)

No comments: